“Affordability” is a relative term and “Affordable Housing” may be perceived differently by different individuals. GRIHA for Affordable Housing has been developed with special focus to reduce any additional cost that the project proponent incurs to obtain green certification. The project proponents can avail the rating using simplified calculator based design tools offsetting the cost and dependency on software/s for analysis.
All projects that are in-line with the PMAY requirements will be eligible for GRIHA AH since the rating strives to integrate sustainability in the residences in line with the PMAY.
GRIHA AH Pre-certification is awarded to projects intending to comply with Affordable Housing design guidelines and fulfilling with its requirements on completion. Additionally, all the GRIHA AH projects achieving 4 and 5-star pre-certification would be provided financial incentives under SUNREF India.
Click here to read more about SUNREF incentive.
- All the upcoming projects that have approval/sanction letter issued by government agency (Central/State) confirming that the project is being developed as per Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (PMAY) are eligible for GRIHA AH rating.
- Affordable Housing project boundary must comply with the applicable municipal, state and local building bylaws related to environment and regulations in place where the project is located.
1. Online Registration - The project proponent can initiate the registration process by filling the expression of interest (EOI) form available on the GRIHA website. The registration is complete after the feasibility checklist is successfully completed by the project proponent. Once the project is registered, the project proponent will be provided with a username and password for documentation on the online panel.
2. Submission of documents - The project proponent will upload documents for all criteria on the online panel with the user name and password provided during registration.
3. Preliminary evaluation - After online submission of documents, for the pre-certification, the preliminary evaluation is carried out by GRIHA Council. The documentation must be completed in all aspects for all attempted criteria. Any attempted criteria with incomplete documentation shall not be evaluated. Online calculators provided for specific criteria need to be filled in and submitted. GRIHA team would take 25 working days to evaluate the documents and share their comments. The project team gets 2 weeks to respond to the queries raised.
4. Final evaluation - Once the project team responds to the preliminary review comments, GRIHA Council shall evaluate the submitted documentation. Based on this evaluation, GRIHA Council shall prepare a final score card within 25 working days after the project team furnishes requisite information sought during preliminary evaluation. Pre-certification shall be awarded based on the final evaluation.
GRIHA AH Pre-certification Fees
|Built-up Area (sqm)||Registration cum Rating fee|
|< = 1,50,000||INR 1,00,000|
|> 1,50,000 <= 4,00,000||INR 2,00,000|
|> 4,00,000||INR 3,00,000|
Please note that the fee is non-refundable and must be paid upfront on registration of the project for GRIHA AH pre-certification. All the projects applying for pre-certification must mandatorily apply for final rating as well. Accordingly the fees will be charged.
|GRIHA AH Pre-certification Thresholds||Achievable star|
|25 - 40|
|41 - 55|
|56 - 70|
|71 - 85|
|86 and above||;|
Criteria and their weightage
|Section||Criterion Name||Max. Points|
|Eligibility for GRIHA AH rating||A: Liveability index
B: Site selection
C: Optimum availability of water
|Section 1: Site Planning||Criterion1: Low impact design||6 points|
|Criterion 2: Design to mitigate UHIE||3 points|
|Criterion 3: Preservation and protection of landscape during construction||3 points|
|Criterion 4: Storm water management||2 points|
|Criterion 5: Reduction in air and soil pollution during construction||2 points|
|Section 2: Energy & Occupant Comfort||Criterion 6: Envelope thermal performance||8 points|
|Criterion 7: Occupant visual comfort (daylight)||5 points|
|Criterion 8: Efficient lighting||2 points|
|Criterion 9: Energy efficient equipment||2 points|
|Criterion 10: Renewable energy||6 points|
|Criterion 11: Energy metering||2 points|
|Section 3: Water Savings||Criterion 12: Efficient use of water during construction||2 points|
|Criterion 13: Optimization of building and landscape water demand||9 points|
|Criterion 14: Water reuse||7 points|
|Criterion 15: Water metering||1 points|
|Section 4: Waste Management||Criterion 16: Construction waste management||1 point|
|Criterion 17: Post construction waste management||6 points|
|Section 5: Sustainable Building Material||Criterion 18: Reduction in environmental impact of construction||6 points|
|Criterion 19: Use of low-environmental impact materials in building interiors||5 points|
|Criterion 20: Use of recycled content in roads and pavement||4 points|
|Criterion 21: Low VOC paints, adhesives, sealants and composite wood products||2 points|
|Criterion 22: Zero ODP materials||Mandatory|
|Section 6: Social Aspects||Criterion 23: Facilities for construction workers||1 points|
|Criterion 24: Universal accessibility||2 points|
|Criterion 25: Proximity to transport and basic services||10 points|
|Criterion 26: Environmental awareness||2 points|
|Criterion 27: Tobacco smoke control||Mandatory|
|Criterion 28: Water Quality||Mandatory|
|Criterion 29: Provision of access to clean sources of cooking fuel||1 point|
|Bonus Points||Criterion 30: Bonus Points||4 points|
Click here to register your project Register