SVAGRIHA (Simple Versatile Affordable GRIHA) was jointly developed by GRIHA Council and TERI. SVAGRIHA is a significantly simplified, faster, easier and more affordable rating system and will eventually function as a design-cum-rating tool. It was required that attention be paid to smaller buildings in India which although have small individual environmental footprints but their cumulative effect is far bigger.
SVAGRIHA has been designed as an extension of GRIHA and has been specifically developed for projects with built-up area less than 2500 sq. mtr. SVAGRIHA can help in design and evaluation of individual residences, small offices, schools, motels, commercial buildings etc. The rating comprises only 14 criteria and the interface comprises of simplified calculators. These calculators can be filled using information from construction drawings like areas; and quantities and specifications of materials. This can be done easily by the architect of the project. Once completed, the tool will tell the architect the number of points that they are able to achieve in that particular criterion and provide recommendations for any improvements in order to improve the environmental performance of the building.
- The rating system has 14 criteria.
- Beyond the pilot-phase, the tool will be converted into a web-tool.
- The criteria are divided into 5 broad sub-groups-namely: energy, water and waste, materials, landscape and others.
- It will be mandatory to attempt certain points under each sub-group. This has been detailed in further sections.
- The total points that a project can achieve are 50
- The rating will be done on a 1-5 star scale.
SVA GRIHA is applicable only for projects which are less than 2500 sq m built-up area. Any building, except for a factory building, are is accepted under the SVAGRIHA rating system.
- Submission of drawings and other documents as required (quantity estimates) to GRIHA Council
- Assessment/review as per SVAGRIHA
- Feedback to project team
- Site visit and due diligence check post construction
- Evaluation by a GRIHA Evaluator: In order to get a rating, it is mandatory for each project to achieve a certain number of minimum points in each category as mentioned below.
- Award of rating
|Points achieved||SVAGRIHA Rating|
Note:The site audit to check compliance will be done once the project is complete and all equipment to be verified are installed.
For registration -.click here
SVAGRIHA Precertification Fees – Rs 30,000
|Built-up Area (sqm)||Fees|
|300 - 799||Rs 60,000|
|800 -1499||Rs 80,000|
|1500 - 2499||Rs 1,00,000|
Exclusive of government taxes
Note: All travel and accommodation of GRIHA Council professionals, for outside Delhi projects, is not included in the above cost and shall be arranged by the client or reimbursed as per actuals.
Criteria and their weightage
|Criterion number||Criterion name||Points|
|1||Reduce exposed, hard paved surface on site and maintain native vegetation cover on site||6|
|2||Passive architectural design and systems||4|
|3||Good fenestration design for reducing direct heat gain and glare while maximising daylight penetration||6|
|4||Efficient artificial lighting system||2|
|5||Thermal efficiency of building envelope||2|
|6||Use of energy efficient appliances||3|
|7||Use of renewable energy on site||4|
|8||Reduction in building and landscape water demand||5|
|10||Generate resource from waste||2|
|11||Reduce embodied energy of building||4|
|12||Use of low-energy materials in interiors||4|
|13||Adoption of green lifestyle||4|
Click here to register your project Register